Based on work by nix, frontalot, tklee, admin, andre, and mindbender.
Originally by mindbender, Frontalot and admin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The NAS-Central Site
NAS-Central Forum - Forum Rules
- Please understand these rules aren't intended to prevent people from speaking their mind (good or bad) or to impose the team as a group of iron-fisted rulers. They are intended to help keep the forums functioning fairly and smoothly and to ease the workload on the developers.
- 1. Your developers are volunteers. They don't get paid for their services. In many cases they have donated both money, hardware, and much of their time to help this community. They do this as a hobby and generally gain enjoyment from this community. Do not harass them in any way. Private requests for help via e-mail, private message, etc will not be tolerated. If you have a problem that does not have a known solution, post your problem to the forum. Posting to the forum makes the solution to your problem available to others with the same problem. Sending an e-mail or PM to a developer will result in a suspension from the forum and wiki.
- 2. Support is never guaranteed. Ask nicely without demanding anything. Demanding from people who donate their time is a sure fire way to get ignored, or worse, banned. One thing is certain, asking nicely will get you further than demanding anything. Respect the developers and excise patience. If you have a support question that requires immediate attention, visit Buffalo tech support.
- 3. Use thesearch function in the wiki and read through whats available. Do not post a question to the forum without reading through the wiki. There is no need or want for the same information to be posted in multiple places. duplicate posts or information in multiple places makes it difficult to maintain. duplicate posts will be deleted. Google is your friend.
- 4. Use the search function in the forum. For the same reasons you searched the wiki, you should search the forums. Again, do not post a question in the forums unless you have completed a thorough search first. Duplicate posts will be deleted.
- 5. Do not post questions on wiki talk pages. Wiki talk pages are for discussion of wiki articles. Questions should be posted to the proper forum after searching the forum and wiki for an answer to your questions. It is highly suggested that you provide detailed documentation of where you searched when you ask support questions (i.e. keywords used, pages reviewed, etc.).
- 6. The #linkstationwiki IRC channel at freenode is not to be used as a way to circumvent the searching of the wiki and forums requirement for support questions. It is unfair to users that have properly asked questions in the forum, for developers to quickly answer questions in IRC. If you have a fair support question, post it in the forums, not in IRC. If your question has not been answered, it has likely been ignored for a reason. Users caught using the #linkstationwiki channel merely to to circumvent proper support asking techniques, will lose #linkstationwiki IRC privileges.
- See here for further explanation.
- 7. Read the FAQ before posting a problem and then read it again.
- 8. Commercial transactions and advertisements are prohibited unless pre-approved by the site administrator.
- 9. Follow any licensing rules, including attributing information to the original author, not posting copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder, and not discussing the use of licensed software on unlicensed devices. Doing so will get you banned and your thread will be locked.
- 10. All Beta code is subject to the acceptance of this disclaimer. Users must agree to the TOS. Anyone found not to comply may have their forum and wiki privileges suspended.
- 11. Vandalism will not be tolerated and will result in being permanently banned.
- 12. User pages in the wiki are considered personal space. Editing someone else's user page is not permitted and may result in a suspension of priveledges.
- 13. Do not discuss methods, nor ask for help, in either the wiki or forums, for installing proprietary software on devices for which you do not have a license for. An example of such, is asking to install the Linkstation Live software on the Linkstation Pro. Doing so seriously violates International Treaties, US and EU intellectual property laws, and other laws in other vicinities, and can place the nas-central.org community in jeopardy. Users in violation of this rule will be permanently banned from the forum, wiki, and IRC channel.
- If you want to report something to the admin team, then here is the list of the main admins:
- Sending a private message in the forum is the easiest way to get in touch.
originally created by The Editor
Vendor-Specific FAQ Links
|Buffalo FAQ||D-Link FAQ||Lacie FAQ|
|Linksys FAQ||Maxtor FAQ||QNAP FAQ|
|Synology FAQ||Thecus FAQ||Zyxel FAQ|